Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Woodland Vision Source!

So, yesterday morning, at about 5:15 AM, I place my contact lenses onto my eyeballs... but the right lens decides to fall off...
into the sink...
traveling down the basin...
into the drain...
and out of my life forever.

Knowing that there was nothing I could do about it, I continued my normal routine, and went on to serve the gentlemen of CBMC their breakfast with only my left lens in place. It was a bit trippy since my depth perception was off... I was placing glasses of orange juice onto their knives and pouring coffee took longer than usual. However, I survived, and we had great tips at the end! Woo hoo!

Partly due to vanity, and partly due to convenience, I needed to replace my contact lenses. It was unfortunate that my optometrist is on the other side of the Rocky Mountains, but thanks to Google, I found another one in the nearest town, Woodland Park, an hour's drive from the ranch.

 Welcome to Woodland Vision Source!
It was quite nice, for being in a small town. Thank goodness they had an appointment this morning! It's been over 5 years since I've had an eye exam, and it's always been at this shady Asian office that had terrible service and really old machinery. I guess you get what you pay for... and I didn't pay much. There are no shady Asian places here, but I was quite excited to see what a "proper" eye exam would be like.

The machine on the left scans your retina for any irregularities and abnormalities. The scan was free, but it costs $34 to have the doctor read it. Um... I passed and had my pupils dilated instead (that was free).

The annoying machine that puffs air into your eyeball. Why do they have to do that? It's such a horrible feeling, waiting for the puff of air to come... and force your eyes to stay open wide. Ugh!

Color-blindness test. Isn't it pretty? I love nerdy, scientific artwork! Can you see the letters inside? Might wanna get yourself tested...

So after all the tests, I had my prescription (my right eye has improved!), and my contacts were ordered from Denver to be picked up in 2 days, not bad. It turned out that I ended up paying the SAME AMOUNT as I would have had to at home! YAY, for small towns that don't get much business!!! (I'm guessing that's why they're so inexpensive, if you have any other theories, I'd be interested to hear them).

Having had my pupils dilated, the doctor was concerned about me driving with the bright sunlight and without prescription sunglasses. My pupils wouldn't be able to constrict to limit the amount of light entering my eye, causing a lot of pain and potential damage. He gave me a pair of Solar-rolz...

Don't I look so cool wearing them?

They kept rolling into the sides of my eyes. Annoying, but so useful. I was grateful to look so nerdy. I can't decide which is nerdier, the insert or the flip-shades my dad wears... hehe. 

(NOT my dad)

2 comments: