Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Another Day Off

On my day off this week, I decided to stay on the ranch (gas prices are incredibly high nowadays). I did some exploring, and found a pond just 400 ft. from my front door!

 It was way too cold to even think of swimming or diving, especially not skinny-dipping! But look, do you see the "beach"? Oh, how I miss the beaches in California... especially Laguna Beach.

As I was walking along the shore, I heard a loud splash, and realized that there are fish in the pond! Can you see the fish in the above picture? The water in the pond is all melted snow from the mountains behind my cabin... so the water is very clear... so nice!

My cold, cold toes!

So once I finished exploring... it started to snow. The snow made lovely ripples in the water... doesn't it look like a Monet painting? It was actually nice, because the snow just brushed right off of me and I stayed dry... if it was rain, I'd be soaked with water.

Reflection of the sky. Such lovely clouds. Oh, yes, it stopped snowing. The weather here is erratic... first it snows, then it doesn't, then it snows again overnight... but by the time lunch is over, the snow has all melted and the sun is shining. Today, it was cloudy and gloomy in the morning, and now the sun is shining, and the wind is so strong that it blew my back door open. Kinda spooky, yet exciting... ya never know what you're gonna get!

I'm so glad to have this place to spend some quiet time. Even though I have no TV, having wireless Internet is just as bad. And even though I'm far away from my old life and its distractions... the awesome people here and the busy job fill my thoughts and hours. It's amazing that I continue to be distracted from God, even living in the middle of nowhere, with less than 40 staff members to interact with! 




After about an hour, frozen stiff, I went back home for a nice hot shower. Home, sweet home!
 
That night we had some girls over for storytime in our fortress! Chelsea and Kellie made it out of sheets we took from housekeeping :) Shhh!

Kellie (wrangler), Lindsey (head cabin girl) and Lauren (kitchen girl) enjoy tea, popcorn, and Lauren reading to us a Sherlock Holmes story - "The Red-Headed League".

Oh, Chelsea, always trying to be tough... I guess having both parents in the police force toughens you up... but she's really a sweetie-pie with the biggest heart I know.

 Even Kita decided to listen in and enjoy the shelter of our awesome fortress!

As the story progressed, more and more heads bobbed and one by one, we sprawled onto the floor. Kellie ended up falling asleep, the dear :) What a great way to end the night... having a bedtime story read to us! I wonder if Kellie will ever find out what happened to the Red-Headed League...

No comments:

Post a Comment