Friday, March 11, 2011

Vista Verde Staff Retreat Day 1

Howdy folks! Sorry I haven't been updating, but all of the ranch staff have been on a 4-day retreat in Steamboat Springs, about 5 hours north of our lovely ranch. Let me tell you, this place is great!

I had the privilege of riding with the McClish family, Jeremy (finance guy), Molly (HR gal) and Hayes (cutest baby with the longest eyelashes ever!). Say "Hi!", Hayes!

We went north west, passing the continental divide. Here's a crappy photo of the view while driving. A-MA-ZING!

On the way, we stopped by the ski-town, Steamboat Springs, and found, not a Jack-a-lope, but a Jack-A-Pheasantlops! Cute, eh? The town was named through a mistake: a French man thought he heard the sound of a steam engine, chugging along the way as he passed by the area. It turns out that the chugging sound was actually the natural hot springs! I didn't get a chance to actually visit the springs, but it's on my to-do list before I leave!

One of the many things I've had to adjust to is the amount of people that hunt over here. I do not see the fun in killing wild animals, especially cute deer, and majestic elk, but many other people do. One thing I admire about hunters is their keen eye... they can spot an elk from miles away! Jeremy was able to point out this herd of elk (I thought they were just horses) and we stopped to take photos. The elk were on a farmer's pasture, eating the hay that was put out for the horses. Jeremy explained to me that the state reimburses the farmers for any damage or loss caused by the wild animals, which I think is such a nice thing to do. And it is also the reason why Colorado issues hunting licenses, to control the elk and deer population. I guess it makes me feel a bit better about all the hunting that goes on...

The native americans called elk, wapiti, which means "white butt". Aren't they beautiful? And they DO have white butts!

Vista Verde Ranch!

Corridor to the dining hall from the great room. Love the twinkle-lights!

Isn't this room amazing?!?! It's the main lodge where we gather for meetings and to just hang out.

View from the balcony with the twinkle-lights. I love all the different seating arrangements. It's such a large room, but it feels so cozy!

And now for our cabin! It was recently renovated, so I lucked out! Big Agnes, here's a tour!


Coffee, hot chocolate, apple cider, and TEA! I love tea! I had one each night before I went to bed!

Our bathroom had HEATED FLOORS! So warm and toasty!

See all the free time? YES! Our speaker was Matt Heard, the head pastor of Woodmen Valley, the mega-church we go to in Colorado Springs. The owners of Vista Verde Ranch actually hired two Lost Valley Ranch staff alumni to run the ranch, Ben Martin and Dace Starkweather (who went to Biola). I was so blessed to be able to hear from all three, great men. Such wisdom and insight!

Chillin' in front of the fireplace. :)

For the evening's entertainment... a horseshoe tournament in the Indoor Arena! It's a great area where you can ride horses indoors when the weather is nasty.

The Vista Verde staff all dressed up for our amusement, and this fine member of William Wallace's army showed us the rules of play.

Two teams, silver and blue. One point for getting the horseshoe within one horseshoe's width from the pole. Two points for getting the horseshoe to lean or touch the pole, and three points for a ringer!

Go Tish! Toss that horseshoe! Josh, don't look so bored...

Go Nate! We have a mariachi guy beside you, and Chewbacca took his head off, that's great...

Oh what fun! Stay tuned for day two!

No comments:

Post a Comment